Simple Aromatherapy Massage
Giving a simple massage using aromatherapy
Don't be too ambitious with your first massage on someone else -
perhaps start with a back massage. To remain comfortable, experiment
with your posture and keep your back straight. Make sure that all parts
of your friend's body, except for the part being massaged, are covered
How to perform the simple aromatherapy massage
You will need: A mat or futon, towels, and essential oils of your
choice mixed into a base oil in a small dish.
What to do:
- Ask your friend to undress to his or her underpants, holding a
towel for modesty, and to lie on his or her front on a towel-covered
futon or mat. Cover the whole body with towels, then cover the back
and kneel beside them.
- Put a little oil on your hands and do gently effleurage down and
up the back, using one hand on either side of the spine and gently
increasing the pressure each time.
- Move to one side and petrissage up and down one side of the back.
Move round and repeat on the other side.
- Make small friction circles up both sides of the spine. Move
behind the head and make large friction circles, moving your hands in
opposite directions, over the upper back. Effleurage the whole back
and then cover it with towels.
- Uncover one leg. Effleurage up and down the leg. Do petrissage
first on the thigh and then on the calf. Effleurage the whole leg.
Repeat on the other leg.
- Ask your friend to turn over, holding the towels away from his or
- Uncover one leg. Effleurage up and down the leg, being careful not
to press on the shin bone or knee. Petrissage the thigh and make small
friction circles round the knee. Effleurage the whole leg. Repeat on
the other leg.
- Effleurage and petrissage one foot and make friction circles into
the sole. Repeat on the other foot.
- Uncover and effleurage up and down one arm and hand, then
petrissage the upper arm and hand, and make friction circles into the
palm. Effleurage the whole arm, then repeat on the other arm.
- Uncover the abdomen and effleurage gently in a clockwise
direction. Petrissage each side of the abdomen. Effleurage the
- Uncover the shoulders and effleurage the upper chest, shoulders
and neck - working with your hands underneath - petrissage the
shoulders, then effleurage as before.
- Finish by doing sweeping auric massage over the whole body.
Massage for Relaxation